Sunday, January 27, 2008

Magical....




I knew I'd enjoy the day, and turns out I did --- except for the fact I should have brought friends and family with me! Especially Katelyn, as she's taking private skating lessons now! I bought the cheapest ticket just to get myself in the door and then spent the day moving from seat to seat to take it all in. Had a hard time trying to figure out what was more interesting, the judging table, the skating performances, the Kiss and Cry area or the broadcasting booth! Man, that Bob Costas is one hot-looking dude...and that Buttons guy can barely walk.. and WHERE was Peggy Fleming ???? Anyway, I started out up-high right behind the Kiss and Cry area and the entrance gate. Was captivating..and the skaters are so teensy-weensy...most about the size of Katelyn. I ended the day by snagging a seat in Row 10 down on the end just about the time clock where I was able to get a few pics of Mark and Amanda. The people around me were skater's friend and family from all over the US and the gentleman behind me was a former judge so it was interesting listening to him give the play by play to all of us at each performance. After hearing the names of skaters and their hometowns from every state, it was special to hear "and representing the Red River Valley Skating Club from Moorhead, MN" on the PA when Mark came out. There is quite a difference between the final groups and the earlier groups...mostly in speed and they just do everything stronger! My biggest surprise of the day was how many of the skaters fall. Just about every single performance had someone take a spill. Even Mark tumbled as he tried to save Amanda from falling after one of the lifts and twists. They ended up taking 5th and just missing a medal at the podium by one place. It was a good place to be on a Saturday in January. Sorry my picture taking isn't the best.....I needed Ria and her camera!

2 comments:

Ria said...

So glad you got to go!

Anonymous said...

so sad I didn't get to go..your sis