Tuesday, September 2, 2008

My Version of .....

Men Are From Mars, Women Are From Venus....

Today is our 2nd anniversary (yes, the one Richard responded "5 yrs." when asked how long we had been married) which caused me to reflect on how each of us has changed in the 4 yrs. we've known each other. Ya know the saying how "soon you'll just be like any other old married couple"....well yesterday, I realized how true it had even become for us. Richard is a weather freak. Knows the forecast for each day before it comes by heart. Must come from being a news route man, BUT ever since I've met him, I've never really had to watch the weather. Every single wake-up call he gives me daily at 5:30 AM includes his weather worries/or pleasure. Even Ria called me once on a trek down to the cities to ask what Richard said the weather was going to turn out like. He could be Mike Lynch's right-hand man on WCCO. It's caused a few arguments cuz I'm more of the attitude "Richard, can you do ANYTHING about it? NO.... so just quit worrying about it and get to sleep"....to which he responds "OH Man, I'm going to have to double bag and seal every single paper I throw tommorrow morning"......to which I respond "OMG Shut-up and go to sleep". So yesterday, on our way home from the Flea Market in DL I'm analyzing our conversation...it went like this:

Sandi: Gosh, I'm so confused on how I should paint the living room... should I stripe the walls? If so, how wide do you think the stripes should be?

Richard: Man, look up ahead...see those 4 perfectly formed white thunderclouds? See how even they are spaced apart? Just perfect for the storm we are supposed to get. (Mind you, these clouds are so far in the distance... like way by Bismarck somewhere, yet he can see them... I can't really)

10 mn later...

Sandi: Can we stop at Menards? I want to check out some paint colors for the living room... I'm thinking I will go with those stripes..... maybe in a nice khaki.

Richard: Wow...those thunderheads have really stretched out...see how they are now sorta connected? Sposed to get a couple of inches of rain by tommorrow morning.. wonder if I'll pour cement or not due to the weather.

5 mn later...

Sandi: So...look...Country Furniture is having a going out of business sale...I want new living room furniture...do you think we should just get 4 chairs or do you need a sofa to sit on?

Richard: Man, the upper winds must have switched now..see how those clouds have straightened out now and have points on the end of them? That means the upper winds have switched to the North like they said they would.. yet the lower winds here on the ground are still stiff from the south.. must be gusts up to 30mph.

10 mn later...

Sandi: OK then... so it's four chairs instead of a couch with striped walls in a nice khaki and white to go along with the scalloped wall trim we bought earlier this summer...wow thanks for helping me decided honey (to which he has no idea of what I'm even deciding since he hasn't listened to a word I said while he's concentrated on his "clouds".)

Richard: We better hurry home...the storms are coming sooner than they said it looks like...see how they've changed color? There might be hail in them clouds....

And so life goes on...the old married couple...one planning a living room in her mind and the other still worrying about the weather.

Happy Anniversary to my old married man.

2 comments:

gmab said...

Happy Anniversary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! And by the way Richard fits in quite well in the family as both Jim and Dad were and are very cautious of THUNDER clouds. His Mother-in-law has been known to get weather reports before venturing out. Keep it up Richard!

G'ma S said...

Yes Mother, I know...I've often thought "haven't I lived this life before with my mother and brother?"...and yes, I'm thankful... poor Richard keeps me outta the rainstorms in life in more ways than one :-) Am guessing he won't let me drive anywhere this winter once he experiences what real icy/snowy roads are up here...ugh.