Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Road Trip


Alot of the time life with Richard is like taking a kid to the toy store for the very first time. His prior 50 yrs. has been pretty much filled up with nothing but work, work & more work. Give the man a new wife with 2 adult married children and 7 grandkids and 3 doggies, move him to Fargo and his world is forever changed. Now every time I get him to venture outside his small tunnel world and try something new, I'm the one ending up shaking my head and grinning on the sidelines. For instance, last Saturday he took his first ever extra-curricular bus trip with wrestling kids from Fargo.... to what he thought was the end of the earth...Grand Forks ND. They gave him a flat nose bus, only 1/2 a tank of gas, and loaded it up with over 70 kids and told him to head north. What's funny is to listen to his stories of the experience....cuz he forgets that I've been doing that for the last 25 yrs. of my life! I drove up there to meet him and take up some of his wait time and had to chuckle while he told me "ya know the moms bring food into these tournaments... they bring these great big crockpots of sloppy joes and then sell these fantastic home made bars for only 50 cents"! I swear the man has been living under a rock his entire life before me. Anyway, I spent the rest of the afternoon watching Carter play his first "road trip" hockey game at the Ralph Engelstad arena on the olympic sheet of ice. What fun was that for him! Sunday we got up at 4:30 am and trekked on down to Buffalo to attend the Elton G'kids Christmas program at their church. This was Richard's 2nd ever kid's Christmas program and once again he was amazed at how the little ones could memorize their lines and songs. I was amazed at how when I handed the Big E my car keys to play with during the service he looked up at me and said outloud plain as day "I drive your car Grandma?" How can someone not even 2 talk like that? Delaney and Jillian sang a cute duet and it was the bestest, as were their adorable dresses and sparkly shoes!

No comments: